Date: Wednesday, September 13, 2023
Place: Chengdu Huaxi Angel Hotel
Time: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Bridget Holmes, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), Rome, Italy
Zhu Wang, National Institute for Nutrition and Health, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, China NIN, China
Food composition tables are valuable resources that provide detailed information about the nutritional content of foods. Food composition data are essential for nearly all nutrition activities, including health, agriculture, trade, food science, environmental sciences, and economics. Food composition tables play a crucial role in understanding the nutritional composition of foods and their impact on human health and well-being. Therefore, sound food composition databases that are comprehensive and representative of foods available and consumed in a country have become essential basic tools in almost all areas of nutrition.
The FAO/INFOODS e-Learning Course on Food Composition Data is a comprehensive online program designed to enhance knowledge and skills in food composition data management. Developed by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the International Network of Food Data Systems (INFOODS), this course provides valuable insights into collecting, evaluating, and using food composition data for nutrition-related purposes. Participants gain an understanding of food composition databases, quality assurance, and analytical methods, ensuring accurate and reliable data. The course covers the importance of standardized data for global nutrition assessments and public health interventions. Through interactive modules and real-life case studies, learners acquire essential competencies to contribute effectively to improving food composition data worldwide. The course is accessible free of charge from the INFOODS website: http://www.fao.org/infoods/infoods/training/en/
Purpose of this training workshop:
• To cover the most essential and relevant contents of the ‘FAO/INFOODS e-Learning Course on Food Composition Data’ through lectures and exercises to enhance correct use of food composition data in various activities.
Who would benefit most from the training?
• Other professionals generating, managing, or using food composition data
• A better understanding of the generation, management, and use of food composition data and their quality requirements for individuals working in nutrition, agriculture, health, and related fields.
The training workshop will be offered and free（accommodation is not included） only for delegates attending the 14th Asian Congress of Nutrition in Chengdu, China.
Pre-workshop tasks & Certificate:
Completing the ‘FAO/INFOODS e-Learning Course on Food Composition Data is highly recommended before attending this workshop. Website http://www.fao.org/infoods/infoods/training/en/.
Participants who attend the training workshop on September 13, 2023, will be issued with a certificate of attendance.
Application for interested candidates:
Seats are limited and will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis. Please register for the training workshop by completing this online registration form: https://forms.office.com/e/ZkREWB3DPw
Please include your complete name, email address, country, institute or organization and job title. Please state your motivation for attending the training.
Confirmation of candidates selected for the training workshop will be communicated by email by August 31, 2023.
- Bridget Holmes: Nutrition Officer, Food and Nutrition Division, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), Rome, Italy; INFOODS Global coordinator.
- T. Longvah: Director-grade Scientist and Head, ICMR-National Institute of Nutrition (NIN); Hyderabad, India; & INFOODS Global Vice-coordinator.
- Zhu Wang: National Institute for Nutrition and Health, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, China; & NESIAFOODS coordinator.
- R Ananthan: Deputy Director, ICMR-National Institute of Nutrition (NIN); Hyderabad, India; & SAARCFOODS coordinator.